This post is for participants in the Just Do It! classes at GAS. The Just Do It! program at GAS has changed – it has e x p a n d e d into a complete artist learning and sharing package, including the classes, a gallery show, and a personal web page. Click here for a full description.
To all those of you who are returning to classes at GAS, I look forward to “welcoming you back” and to those of you who are coming to class for the first time, “welcome”. I look forward to working with all of you. The following information is designed to help you prepare – confirming dates and times, suggested supply list, and much more.
I am pleased to be working with Joanne and her staff at GAS; very excited about our new expanded program!
Important: Mark our show dates in your calendar: Feb 21 – March 11, 2018!
Location: Gerrard Art Space (GAS) 1475 Gerrard St. E.
Parking: On-street metered, or Green P lot behind the building.
Transit: Immediate access by 506 streetcar or Bus 22, or a few minutes walk from 501 or 502 streetcar.
Fall 2017 schedule:
Classes will start on Monday Sept 25 and continue until November 27, for a total of 10 classes.
Morning: 10 am – 12:30;
Afternoon: 1:00 – 3:30 pm
Flex Schedule and Fee: Build a class schedule that fits your life and pay only for the classes you attend. The class is sold in 4-packs @ $140. Start with 4 classes, and when you have completed the first 4 classes you can purchase additional classes. Fees are payable by Credit card, e-transfer, cheque or cash.
TO REGISTER please contact me. I will add your name to the class list and we will make payment arrangements that work for you.
Suggested Supply List:
- BYOD (bring your own device). We will often explore contemporary artists and artwork on-line. WIFI is available in the gallery.
- Acrylic paint: basic colours of red, yellow, and blue + black and white. Feel free to bring more colours if you like, but having the basics will give you many options.
- Supports: start with 3 – 4 firm supports, such as stretched canvas, canvas board, watercolour paper or other firm surface. Size is your choice. Consider bringing “experienced” canvases, or “failed paintings” to paint over. You will be encouraged to try working on “non-traditional” surfaces such as plywood, steel, burlap coffee bags, found material, or other.
- Sketch book or similar, 9″ x 12″ or larger; to be used for colour experimentation and notation. Bring a pen or pencil as well.
- Brush(es): at least 1 brush that is 2″ or larger. Bring more if you like.
- Other paint applicators: palette knives, scrapers, spatulas, etc. No need to purchase expensive tools – check the garage, workshop, or kitchen drawer.
- Paint palette – Styrofoam or plastic food trays or other.
- Spray bottle for water (optional)
- Rags and/or paper towels.
- Water container.
- Paint apron or shirt.
- Optional: Acrylic additives, such as matte medium, glazing liquid, gel or other. You will be encouraged to experiment with acrylic additives; if you are not familiar with these products, please wait to purchase after classes have started.
- Optional: Other media or collage materials. Acrylic products combine well with other media and materials (other than oil). If you would like to experiment with combinations, feel free to bring.
And please consider:
- Feel free to bring a sample of your recent work to share with the class.
- I invite you to check out the Bookshelf, a new feature on my website, Art Think Cafe. It lists many of my favourite books, and you will find some of the artists whom we will be getting better acquainted with during the class.
- And I invite you to join and participate in the Just Do It! facebook group.
See you in Class! Let’s have some creative fun!